News and Commentary

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

An Open Letter to the Coalition for Gun Control

I am not a bad person!

Now that is a self-evaluation, but on the whole, is probably an accurate statement. I have a full-time job and no criminal record. I pay my taxes and give to charity. I care deeply about my family and am involved in my community. I am a good neighbour and a caring friend. So why do you hate me so much?

Why do you label me a criminal? Have I ever done you harm? Do you even know who I am?

I am one of the five million Canadians who own guns. I store my guns properly and use them for entirely peaceful purposes--in Olympic sports and competitive target shooting leagues. I respect the fact that hunting helps many people provide for their families. I understand that guns are part of a traditional, rural way of life and that sometimes they're necessary for predator control. I'm also glad that our nation's heritage is being preserved in the antique firearms some Canadians collect as a hobby and hang onto as precious family heirlooms. To me, these guns are poignant reminders of the hardships our forefathers suffered to defend the freedom you and I enjoy today.

I am your neighbour, your child’s teacher, your accountant, your hairdresser, your doctor, and the policeman that patrols your streets. I am a farmer, a minister, a factory worker, the lady across the cosmetics counter from you, a fellow employee and maybe even your employer. I live in the country and in the city. You meet me on the street everyday. In fact, I live within three houses of you.

I am an average, everyday, law-abiding, trustworthy Canadian, who now realizes that I have to stand up, be counted and be heard. I sat back in disbelief while politicians and bureaucrats wasted $2 billion dollars of my tax money harassing people like me, when they should have been going after the gangsters, drug dealers and criminals who wreak havoc in the streets and rob parents of their children.

I understand your commitment to your cause, particularly if you've suffered a tragic loss. What I don’t understand is your blatant disregard for the truth. I would have more respect for you if you didn’t exaggerate your statistics, misleading both the media and your fellow Canadians.

I wish you could see how hurtful and misguided your statements are. I wish you understood that the measures you propose would make our country less safe, not more.

Most of all, I wish you understood that I am not your enemy.

Sincerely,
Andrea Hannen
A gun owner, your neighbour and proud to be both

Regional Director, Central Ontario
Canadian Shooting Sports Association